Bastadi! Bastadi!

That’s Nepali for slow. Which is pretty much how everything is up here. At 15,500 feet, nothing is moving very fast. Today we crossed the Renjo-La Pass, at 17,800 feet. Surprisingly, it was a relief, rather than a stress trip. The three peaks looming in my future, surrounding me every day, are constantly on my mind. Doubt, fear, and insecurity run through me. It’s slowly getting colder, and the discomfort only amplifies the worry. But today, even though it was hard, the strong feeling that I get when in the mountains seemed to resurface. Every step, although the air was thin, and the day long, gave me confidence. I still have a long way to go, but I am taking the small victories I can get.

Cold morning starts are the toughest, with the cold wind nestling itself deep into your bones. But every time the discomfort starts to take over, or the homesickness, or fatigue, I remember everybody back home. Everybody who believed in my crazy ideas, showed me how to be strong, read this blog, told me to go for it. I think of them, and each person who has given me that gift of belief has allowed me to put one foot in front of the other. Today was  a beginning. A beginning of hard days. A beginning of struggle. A beginning of cold. Of wind. Of heavy breathing. But also a beginning of strength. Of freedom. Of confidence. So we carry on, with the hopes that the days will carry some of both.

Advertisements

9 Comments Add yours

1. Susie Britton says:

Go Elliot! You are a rockstar inspiration. Stay brave! Xxoo

2. Elizabeth Corbus says:

So proud of you, Elliot. We are all thinking of you!!

3. Amy Singer says:

Hey there Elliot, you’re awesome! We’re following your progress. Can’t you hear us cheering you on?!

4. Regan says:

Ekdam ramro chha, Eliott! So excited for you. You’re doing it! Yehaw!

5. Jane Mortimer says:

We are loving following your amazing and brave journey Elliot. Go girl!

6. Granny Max says:

I keep pinching myself that this is my granddaughter writing. So smart. so strong. So adventurous. Much love from Granny Max

7. Following you on your journey and so glad I have had a chance to get to know you over the years and hang out with you and your family. Travel and adventure has been such a big part of my life and I am so excited to see you starting your adventure at such a young age. You are such an inspiration.

8. Jim Lesser says:

El–I know you’re a badass climber and everything–that’s abundantly clear. But what I continue to be blown away by is your self awareness, your ability to live in the moment and your rich, thoughtful writing. We are following you and rooting for you every step of the way!

9. Alan Paul says:

Love following this adventure, El… Two piece of advice for the posts: more details! When you say it’s cold, give us a number. Is it 20? 5? 10 below? can you feel your face? And more photos! as many as possible. Rooting you on and want to know as much as I can.